There are a couple of things you need to look for when searching for a transport company or truck drivers. Truck drivers are responsible for transporting materials from one location to another. Depending on the company they work for, they may be tasked with delivering products or dumping waste products.
The type of truck they drive will depend on the type and amount of cargo they are transporting, as well as the distances they are required to travel. These types of transport jobs also involve truck drivers being hired to transport hazardous materials.
There is a wide variety of cargo that truck drivers are required to transport. This can include cars, furniture and timber. Truck driving is required in a range of industries which include retail, construction and agriculture. Jobs for drivers can also be found in courier companies.
While transporting goods is a truck driver’s primary responsibility, they are also expected to perform other duties such as:
- Loading and unloading trucks.
- They need to ensure that the truck they drive is kept in good condition and that maintenance work is kept up to date.
- Truck drivers need to be skilled at plotting the best routes for a journey so they can reach their destination timeously. Large trucks may even have to take detours if there are roads that cannot accommodate their vehicle.
- Driving jobs also include administrative duties such as keeping truck logs and obtaining customer signatures. Truck drivers liaise with their supervisors via radio or telephone and it is important that they stay in touch with their company while they are doing a delivery.
- They need to follow safety regulations and make sure that the products they are transporting are secure. Daily vehicle inspections are important to maintain safety standards and prevent damage to people or products.
- The drivers need to adhere to speed limits at all times. The driver is also expected to keep a safe following distance while driving. The driver must ensure that the truck is not overloaded at any point in time and that no passengers are being carried in the truck.
- It is also the driver’s responsibility to keep his own truck clean and washed at all times.
- Far distance trips are also part of a driver’s job. The driver is expected to leave at any hour, to be on time for the delivery. This may include an entire weekend away from their families.
- The driver needs to be awake and alert for the entire trip. When he feels tired, he will stop in a secure location such as a petrol station to have a few hours of sleep before driving again.
One thing that FDK Transport enforces is on-time delivery. We don’t accept drivers being late for deliveries. We operate with integrity and strive to instill this quality in each and every one of our drivers.
The minimum requirement for all our drivers is a heavy vehicle driver’s license. It is also beneficial to complete an Advanced Driving Course. They also need to complete a medical examination.
For reliable transport services with qualified truck drivers, contact FDK Transport today.